The Personal Support Worker (PSW) Program is a referral service at PACE. The PSW program emphasizes consumer-control, which gives the consumer the ability to hire, train, maintain, and terminate, if necessary, their PSW. We recruit prospective PSWs who are willing to assist consumers with I/DD in achieving their personal goals. We also maintain a PSW Registry for Champaign County consumers.
The PSW Program offers the following services:
- Preference-Based Referrals – We assist consumers to find PSWs they want to hire. When making referrals, PACE staff match consumer preferences with PSW information in our registry as much as possible. In each referral, consumers receive up to six prospective PSW contacts who they reach out to and interview for hire.
- PSW Outreach/Monthly Orientations — Staff complete regular outreach across Champaign County to recruit prospective PSWs. All perspective PSWs are required to complete an orientation and pass the post-orientation quiz before they are added to our registry. We host orientations every month.
- PSW Registry — We maintain a registry of people interested in working as PSWs. We contact all PSWs on the registry quarterly to keep their information and availability current.
- Quarterly Advisories — At our PSW Advisory meetings, we gather feedback from consumers about the program and their suggestions for improvement. These gatherings also provide an opportunity for consumers to connect with potential PSWs.
- PSW Management — We are available to answer PSW service questions and assist consumers in effectively managing their PSW staff. If consumers want to complete their own background checks on PSWs, PACE staff can also assist.
COVID-19 Update: PSW Orientations and Quarterly Advisories are occurring virtually on zoom until further notice. Reach out to PACE staff for zoom meeting information.
PSW Registry Requirements:
In order to be added to the registry, perspective PSWs must adhere to the following requirements:
- age 18 or older
- complete the required orientation and pass the post-orientation quiz
- pass the following background checks:
- Healthcare Registry
- Illinois Sex Offender Registry
- National Sex Offender Registry
- DCFS Child Abuse and Neglect Tracking System (CANTS) check [Must be passed annually to remain active on the registry]